A fatal shooting in the heart of Tel Aviv claimed the lives of three men and injured fifteen others. The shooter opened fire on a bar at Dizengoff Street, a well known busy street in downtown Tel Aviv which draws many people to restaurants and bars at the week’s end. This is the fifth attack in Israel or the West Bank in the last two weeks.
The victims were Tomer Morad and Eytam Magini, both aged 27 and childhood friends from Kfar Saba. Magini’s wedding engagement party was planned for this weekend. Barak Lufen was a 35 year old father of three and a coach on Israel’s Paralympic Team. All three died at the hospital.
The terrorist was Ra’ad Hazem from Jenin, a Palestinian city under full jurisdiction of the Palestinian Authority and known for producing extremists. Hazem was found in Jaffa about three miles from the location of the attack and killed by Israeli security agents after an extensive manhunt.
In the Gaza Strip, Hamas and Islamic Jihad blessed the attack, and celebrations were reported on the streets of Ramallah, though the Palestinian Authority condemned it. UN Mideast envoy Tor Wennesland tweeted “Appalled by another heinous attack this evening in Tel Aviv…Deplore the welcoming of this attack by Hamas.”
What’s significant about this?
- The Passages family has colleagues and friends who live close to or were near the location of the attack when it happened.
- The site chosen is well known for its popularity with civilians, and it has been a soft target for terrorism in the past.
- Tensions are already high due to the pattern of attacks and convergence of Ramadan, Passover, and Easter.
- The coalition government of Israel faces potential collapse due to pressure over its response to the terror attacks. This additional attack will increase pressure and threaten to escalate the internal conflict further.
How should we pray?
- Pray for clarity, truth, and justice.
- Pray for comfort for the victims’ families, healing for the injured and recovery for all those who experienced the attack.
- Pray for peace, protection and an end to the wave of violence.
- Pray for wisdom for all of Israel’s leadership.